Amazing Banana Streusel Coffee Cake For Cold Winters

4:52 PM

Couple of days ago I was talking with a group of girls from different countries, and since winter weather finally arrived to Boston, we were discussing our favourite winter-warmer drinks. Most of us (including myself) confessed that they adore coffee, which, over the years of intense studying and working, has earned a special place in their lives. And what can be better on a cold winter day than a coffee with a piece of a homemade coffee cake? Well, maybe there are some other things, but right now, sipping my morning black coffee (no sugar, no milk, please) and eating a comforting Banana Streusel Cake, I can't really think of anything else.


I would say that my desire to bake is continuous but the my choice of the recipe is often defined by what products in my kitchen are on a verge of “dying”. My parents have cultivated a sense of respect towards food in me, so it's against my senses to throw something that can still be used away (unless it's really THE time). So another day after a quick glance at the bowl with fruits in my kitchen I saw that my poor bananas have turned brown without asking me if I'm ready to be a creative chef again or not. Their condition really didn't leave me much choice but to use them ASAP.

   

Being a traditionalist, who still collects the recipes in the browser bookmarks (instead of Pinterest or a fancy Evernote WebCliper), I decided that I could find an exciting recipe that I haven't had a chance to try yet in my own list of saved items. And, hell yes, I was right! I've found about seven recipes that in one way or another suggested to use bananas. After eliminating the ones that called for fresh fruits, I went for a mixture between banana bread and coffee cake. Both of them individually are a great breakfast treat and go incredibly well with cold weather. “The combination must taste delightful, for sure then”, I thought... and was absolutely right!

    

I must say the recipe is actually less of a bread and more of dessert thanks to its sweet, crumbly, and crunchy topping – streusel. It's really easy (and really fast too) to make, however it adds a special touch that takes your baking to the next level – the level when you friends start asking whether you brought the cake from the bakery or made it yourself; and when you confirm the ownership, people are bursting into compliments.


Obviously, it is not the healthiest recipe ever but remember – it is also a treat – and from time to time you can treat yourself, right?



The Banana Streusel Cake: The recipe and directions
Adapted from CompletelyDelicious.Com
Makes one 9 inch (23 cm) cake
  • 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (310grams)
  • ¾ cup brown sugar + ¼ cup (50grams)
  • ½ cup coconut sugar (150grams; can be replaced with granulated sugar)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes (1 ½ stick or 170 grams) + ¼ cup (¼ stick or 30 grams)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • a handful of chopped pecans
  • 3 medium bananas (about 1 cup when mashed)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • orange zest from one small orange


Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
  2. In the first bowl mash bananas with fork and add to the 2 eggs, vanilla extract, orange zest and baking soda.
  3. In the second bowl combine 2 ½ cup flour, ¾ cup brown sugar, salt and 1 ½ stick cold butter with your hands. Keep pressing and mixing till the mixture is even and sticky.
  4. For the streusel: Put approximately 3-5 heaped tbsp's of the dry mix into the third bowl (small-sized). Add cinnamon, ¼ cup of butter, ¼ cup of brown sugar, and chopped pecans. Mix until well combined and refrigerate.
  5. Combine the wet mixture from the first bowl with the dry mix from the second bowl. Give it a couple of good stirs.
  6. Butter and flour the baking tin, pour your mix in there, and sprinkle the streusel on the top.
  7. Bake for about 15 min at 400F, then reduce the heat to 350F (180C) and bake for about 20-30 minutes. The cake should be beautifully browned, and a wooden stick would come out clean from the cake when it's ready.
  8. Let the cake cool down for couple of hours or, if you can't wait anymore, try it warm!   



You Might Also Like

0 comments